Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Não é de sua conta

The subject of this email means, none of your business, I don’t know if anyone really remembers but I used to say that phrase a lot.” Phhhh none of your business,” well here it's extremely offensive…. Not funny, I said it last night at a ward activity and I just kind of got this look, the sort of look where you know you said something bad, I guess it’s a little bit funny because there was a short pause and then a lot of laughter, except for the person I said it to, It’s a pretty severe “burn” from what I understand when you are the one being told it’s none of your business, that person was pretty sad until I explained myself.
On Saturday, Elder R. Marinho and I had a job to fill up the baptismal font. Not a hard job, turn the water on, wait for a bit turn the water off. So we turned the water on. My senior companion said, lets go to lunch and come back and shut it off, I was a little unsure, I suggested waiting until the font filled up and then leaving, but, He said, It’ll be fine, we’ll go eat real fast and hurry back. Tudo bem
Well during lunch, every little bit I would remind him about the water, and how it was STILL ON! He would hush me and I would wait a little bit to remind him and get hushed again. We were eating at a member’s house and he was enjoying the conversation I guess, finally, we left the house after about an 1 and 20 minutes! I was on the way back I was saying, I think it might be overflowing, but he reassured me and told me they take forever to fill up. Nonetheless, he seemed to be a little on edge, and we walked pretty stinking fast back to the church, but yet still confident that it wouldn’t be overflowing. We got to the church and unlocked the gate. Ran to the door and unlocked that as well, entered, everything seemed normal, and then we turned the corner. There was about a quarter inch of water… everywhere. I don’t know why but it made me laugh, I ran in to the font and was reaching to unplug the plug but I have short arms and bad depth perception ,I thought I could reach the plug, But I couldn’t as I was trying my companion ran in already stripped down to his garments and pulled the plug. This was also pretty funny, considering how bad this situation was. Luckily the church is almost completely tile which made things a lot more reassuring, I feel like they were prepared for this though cause as I went into the cleaning closet to find something to use to get that water out of there I found at least 30 of those squidgy brooms. After some time we got it all cleaned up. The baptism turned out just fine and when the members got there they were commenting on how clean the church looked.
I feel about 300 times more confident in the language, It’s really helpful having to speak it almost all the time, I get to teach my companion every morning English which I’m really enjoying, and throughout the day. But he doesn’t really know anything yet and when I hear him talk with his accent I get a pretty good Idea at why I get laughed at so much, things are getting better though. I’m grateful.
Conference! I got to see the Sunday session. I was really missing those cinnamon rolls.(WOW this guy just sat down next to me, I think he went a little overboard on the aftershave) And I watched the whole thing in Portuguese, I loved the hymns, a lot. Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm smelling some old man aftershave mixed with goldfish… my time is up though. Thanks for all the words of encouragement.

Mom could you send me The addresses of grandparents, on both sides?

Love you all,
Tchou
Elder Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment