Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Vou ficar em casa no natal si somente em meus sonhos

This last week has been interesting, there was an emergency transfer 2 weeks before scheduled, one missionary has gotten really sick and two were just being sent home. My companion was transferred because of this. We were both thinking I would be leaving in two weeks. I really am beginning to think there is some one here I am supposed to meet, like my ticket to leave and if I don't meet that person I'll be here for my whole mission I have been here for so long! I don't have a problem with that though I do feel like I know everyone in Tabuleiro and, things just keep working out in a way that I end up staying, so I'm done guessing when I'll be leaving or not.
I was a little bummed about Elder R. Marinho leaving, we were a good team. And taught well together, my new companion is a good missionary, I will learn a lot from him, His name is Elder Vaz exotic, I know. He is very serious, elder Marinho and I tried to get into homes using the humor approach, which was working well, he uses a different approach, which almost makes me feel uncomfortable. I have got to get over that though. Yesterday was the first day we worked a full day together, I'd go as far to say that it went well.
So far my first 3 companions have been completely different which is good. I am a little bit nervous about the families we were working with before he got here, He is a get in get out kind of guy, where as Marinho liked to build more of a friendship. I don't know I'm excited to work with him for at least two weeks and we'll see what happens at transfers.
Yesterday we met a nice guy, for a second I even thought he was my ticket. He warmly received us for about 10 minutes, then I don't know exactly what went wrong in the conversation but, one minute he was smiling and the next minute he was telling me to repent and stop preaching this blasphemy. I am getting pretty used to the occasional hysterical person. I told him I do repent, I try to repent daily but why would I have to repent for testifying of Christ? This made him raise his voice even more. turns out he is the Pastor of the other church, The one of the family I told you about last week that has joined the church and fallen away in the last four months. The Assembly of God is the name of the church. I guess we are stealing his customers.

There is some significance to this story. We met another family who left that church, for this exact reason that a lot of them testify of the falseness of our church and other churches. I am grateful for a respectful church, and how we do not condemn other religions. I was reading in Jesus the Christ I don't remember where but One of the Apostles said to Jesus a man was testifying of him with out authority. Jesus replied not in these exact words but with the same meaning, if he is for us then he is not against us. I believe anyone that testifies that Jesus is The Christ is doing good, they just don't have authority. I ended up telling him almost exactly this that I believe his teachings are good they come from the bible and I believe in the Bible, I told him he just doesn't have the authority. Which made him more angry. Meanwhile we stayed calm.

I have met a lot of other Pastors this was the first to get angry, also the first that I was that bold with. I did say everything in a respectful way. So the two significances of this story are, it's a small world ( I met the man I've been hearing so much about), and how sweet it is that our church will ONLY testify that it is the ONLY true church.

At the end of our conversation I told him it was a pleasure to meet him at that he is always welcome in our church, I said it as sincere as possible and he responded kindly.

Ok sorry sorry I hope that story made sense I was kind of rambling I have got to head out. I do want to say one thing, I'm stinking excited to talk to who ever is home, is anyone going to be home? Hmmm if I only get to leave a message somebody is going to get it 6 months from now when I call again.
One more thing, Linda! I'm trying to stay warm thanks for the concern, and the scripture and everything.
One more thing Kristen thanks for the address,
One more Tawny travel safely please!
Oh and ps Love you guys

No comments:

Post a Comment